View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Stacygifford
Eco Storm Chaser

Nemo - '87 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)

K-sight - '02 Honda Insight
90 day: 39.24 mpg (US)
Turtle Some results.

Well, I have some results... As it turns out my cars missing front belly pan makes a substantial diffrence. However, I do not have any scientific evedence to quantify the readings of my butt - o - meter.

None the less, after adding my coroplast belly pan reinforced with 1 1/8" aluminum angle "iron" and aluminum flat strap that is rivited so that it sandwiches the coroplast. It also acts as air flow channels much like the roof rails used in land speed cars to stabilize high speed air. (Or at least that's the theory)
I also deleted the passenger wiper and the rear wiper. I used the front licence plate as a partial grill block, and removed the blocky (and presumably unaerodynamic) licence mounting bracket.

I wanted to get an idea of what this car is capable of, and fortunately , we have a wonderful ~25mile loop with little elevation change.

The conditions under which this testing was conducted are as follows.

97-98° f
winds from the east 6-10 mph.
~61°f Dewpoint.
Speeds varied from 36mph minimum and 67 maximum. (Excluding when I reset the trip meter at the 1 stop light before the test.
Average speed of 51 mph
The hybrid assist was never used.
battery meter started 4 bars from maximum charge and ended at 2 bars from full ( not sure if that is a quantifiable measurement)

Last edited by Stacygifford; 07-02-2014 at 12:37 AM.. Reason: I can't spell..