View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
atomicradish
EcoModding Apprentice

6th Gen Coupe - '02 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl
90 day: 28.01 mpg (US)

Zombie Accord - '98 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.71 mpg (US)

Ol' Red - '96 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 14.43 mpg (US)
Alternate ways to produce hydrogen?

With all the skepticism regarding the actual gains of hydrogen systems, I got to thinking; is there another way we can produce hydrogen?

So my mind began to wander, directly to my high school chemistry class. I remembered doing an experiment with sulfuric acid which produced lots of hydrogen. In many cases, when mixed with a metal, sulfuric acid will produce hydrogen + sulfate. Now isn't it convenient that car batteries contain sulfuric acid. I'm sure that with all of the cars some people around here have, there is plenty of acid that could be harvested... I'm also curious to know the availability of buying it direct. I'm guessing that everyday people can buy a dilute form of the acid if there isn't any available... though I have no idea about the price of it.

The best part about this is that it is entirely independent of the alternator, and it takes no energy from the car itself to facilitate hydrogen production. I remember the little gizmo we had looked very similar to some of the hydrogen systems people currently have in their cars.

Anyone have any ideas on the feasability of this?