View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 AM   #141 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
SuperBeetle is heavy!?

I've got good news, and bad news. The good news is it's really nice and pretty out this morning. The bad news is, I got the German translated in the car that says how much it weighs. The 760 kg figure that I thought was the car's weight, translates to "In The Back: 760 kg"

Whatever that means. Evidently, it's closer to 2000 pounds. That's messed up, yo. Everyone on the EVDL thought it was a really stupid idea to use a 300amp controller on such a heavy car. So, I'm trying to upgrade it right now (ebay) to a 400amp controller. Maybe that will make acceleration semi-tolerable? I can just pretend that one of Reverend Moon's love childs (doesn't he wh0re around a lot??? Isn't he a son of wh0redom trapped in a celestial body. Is he made of cheese??? The tide of history is turning because of him, because he controls the tides, because he's the moon) is in the car hiding somewhere. (cult motif, giving Oprah a break)

Excellent news: The drum brake is the perfect diameter as well as the PERFECT length (height of cylinder) to be used as a spacer next time!!! That would save me about $50 if I could get a cheap drum brake and just weld that nuzhay on there (nugget in french). Well, next time, if the stupid spacers don't work very well. My welding is getting better. Not good by any means. I would fail a high school welding class, but it's getting better!!!

Also, the back wheels spin beautifully and smoothly, so no new bearings needed! ALSO, transmission sounds like it has been possessed by a ninja after changing transmission fluid. (it's super quiet, and it tried to assassinate me, and it wears a black outfit, which is to say, it is very very dirty, and does funny hand symbols that have ancient significance and knows how to use chinese stars, those weird round things that spin on the sides of it)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1535.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	1146  

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 07-12-2008 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: the system bleeped wh word, so I added a zero instead of o.