View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
ERTW
EcoModding Apprentice

Bu - '08 Chevrolet Malibu LS
90 day: 32.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Yes, and that's why you don't see cars made that way. Acceleration to cruising speed would be VERY slow, and you can forget about hills.
I'm gonna have to disagree with this statement. I rented a Corsa in europe this spring. It has a 1.4L engine iirc. The speed limits there are higher than Canada (130 kph on some highways). north america may have *hills*. Greece is mostly *mountain*. I didn't find myself wanting for more power. shifting gears ftw The only thing I'd change is low profile tires - you don't want to roll over on your tires when you're a km up on a 5m wide road with no guard rails, and an oncoming vehicle (which I did).

Driving style is different. where a european driver uses the on ramp to accelerate, an american driver punches it right before merging (or after, as is sometimes the case). power makes lazy drivers. I found that out in autocross.