View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #154 (permalink)
ERTW
EcoModding Apprentice

Bu - '08 Chevrolet Malibu LS
90 day: 32.29 mpg (US)
Well, I was matching up the GM Precept with the template. At first glance it looks like it's way off...not even approaching the 50% mark. But how come it's one of the most aerodynamic cars on the planet (Cd = 0.174)...which still looks like a car, can fit four people comfortably, and looks like it can be mass produced? Note that it only uses half wheel covers, and non-dished wheels.

I changed Aerohead's spherical nose to a 1.36:1 ellipsoid two years ago. Far short of the 2.5:1 ellipse that pre-war research shows. Sharks and boxfish have tapered noses. It follows the Precept very closely.

I tried many ellipses at the rear and it didn't conform to any. Next, I lined up the rear half of the template and started shrinking it. The drawing is exactly 1/2 scale. I was surprised, and elated. So the template doesn't just work at full scale. Again, my hat is off to Aerohead

edit: Kachi22i scaled down the template may 24, 2013...but you DON"T scale down your success I believe I know why it works on the Precept, and not so much on the Porsche 911.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	precept template.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	15325  

Last edited by ERTW; 07-05-2014 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: props to kachi22i
The Following User Says Thank You to ERTW For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-07-2014)