View Single Post
Old 07-12-2008, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
SVOboy
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
SF to allow stop and roll for cyclists

Interesting news: cbs5.com - New Plan May Let CA Cyclists Ignore Traffic Stops

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5) ― An idea is gaining momentum to allow bicyclists to pedal through stop signs, without stopping.

Bicyclists claim that it can be tough to stop a bike at a red light or a stop sign, only to start pedaling all over again.

The state of Idaho changed its law, and now California is considering the same idea. The vehicle code would be modified to allow what's known as a "stop and roll." Bicyclists could treat stop signs as yield signs instead, and red lights as stop signs.

"Bicycles would still have to yield if there was a car at a stop sign. They would still have to stop for that car and let them go through," explained Rachel Kraai with the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. "At a stop light they would still have to stop and look both ways, but then they could go through."

The Metropolitan Transportation Commission will explore the idea Thursday afternoon, and consider asking state lawmakers to consider it.

Kraai says the number of bicycles outnumbers cars on a regular basis, during morning rush hour on San Francisco's Market Street, giving added weight to the proposal. "The laws need to change with the growing numbers of cyclists."

"I just don't think that should work. I mean, they should obey traffic laws like the rest of us," argued driver Tim Blevins. "I think it's kind of silly actually. I can just see lawsuits if a bicyclist does that and then gets hit by a car and who's going to be at fault?"

"It's what they're doing already," pointed out David Lee. "I never see, rarely see, a bicyclist stop at a stop sign completely or a red light. So I'd rather have a law that's more practical, one that might actually be enforced. So I would tend to be for it."