View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #64 (permalink)
wmjinman
Master EcoModder

Jimmy - '00 GMC Jimmy SLT
90 day: 21.18 mpg (US)

The White Gnat - '99 Suzuki Swift
Team Suzuki
90 day: 51.87 mpg (US)
I wasn't originally going to comment on the motorcycle part, but years ago, I bought a Honda Nighthawk 450 (2 cylinder). My express purpose in buying it was for high mpg transportation. Friends and aquaintences told me I could probably get 60 on the highway. I was extremely pleased to soon learn I was getting 70 on the highway.

Then I did add one "gadget" - a "Plexifairing III", because I couldn't stand the cold from the constant wind (the very definition of "wind chill"). I thought my mpg would plummet, but imagine my surprise when my mpg went UP to 75!!! My first real-world expreience with the concept of a "grille block/air dam", I suppose.

This was back in the 55 mph speed limit days. The fairing actually REDUCED my top speed in top gear (from about 80 to about 70), and later, after they raised the speed limit on the interstate to 65, I found I was getting only 50 mpg or worse trying to maintain that speed - which was hard to do because of a slight headwind.

So I guess that proved that for the bike too, slower speed = better mpg. In fact, I think to took a trip once & tried to maintain 50, resulting in my best mpg ever - 76.