View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #67 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmjinman View Post
Say, Mech, I fill mine until the gas can be seen standing in the fill neck, too. I know they don't recommend that here, and now that I see this statement of yours, I'm wondering if I'm making a mistake? Could you elaborate on HOW it can damage the evap system, and anything the expansion might hurt? I usually drive a bit after I get gas, making some room in the system, I'm thinking, but maybe not enough room. ???

When I fill, it will take a certain amount at a fairly fast rate, but then get to a point where I can only put in about 0.02 gallons at a time, waiting about 3 or 4 seconds between each 0.02. I can usually get almost another 2 gallons in by doing this, (taking about 20 minutes!!) but now I'm wondering even more than before, what exactly am I doing?

My thought was this was the best way to make sure I'm filling it the same each time (to where it literally won't hold any more). But if I'm screwing up, maybe I need to stop. ??? This car runs really good, and I'd REALLY hate to damage it by being a bonehead!!!
The tube for the evaporative emissions system is just below the filler cap receptacle. If you fill too high then you can get liquid fuel into the charcoal cannister which dissolves the charcoal. The cannisters can set you back hundreds of dollars new and are considered owner neglect for warranty purposes. Most owners manuals warn against filling too high.

I just put the pump on the first (of two here) detents and let it fill the tank.

If you have the issue where you can't get the last couple of gallons in the tank which I have experienced in several of our cars where the filler neck is behind the wheel with the tank under the rear seat, I cut a piece of 2X4 and when I pulled up to the pump, I dropped the wood block in front of the rear wheel and drove up on it to give that end of the car a little extra elevation.

In those vehicles that were hard to completely fill the wood block trick worked great for me.

Typically if the nozzle of the gas pump is in the neck as far as it will go the auto shutoff will not let you overfill.

You can also listen to the fuel going in the tank and hear when it is getting close to the top.

regards
Mech