View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #158 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Details - Exhibit #5: Rubbermaid

Aside from keeping Centurion as light as possible , other items were addressed along the way. One of them was the underside just behind the nose. Having previously tried two versions of an airdam, I ditched them both for three items from rubbermaid...

(Aerostang photo - thanks!)
I'm not 100% certain this helped with cleaning up the underside, but, it did help in assisting radiator airflow. This Centurion is not using the stock Spitfire radiator, instead in uses the smaller Kubota radiator, which also has the added benefit of lighter weight .

There is very little frontal area on Centurion and there is also no traditional grille. There is however a small air inlet for cooling. You can probably spot it in this photo (courtesy of Aerostang at the 2014 Green Grand Prix- thanks!)

So to further assist the very small air inlet (for the radiator) the license plate was angled to help direct more air into the opening:

I don't have a real scientific way to test the relationship of airdams and such, but, Centurion left in its stock form, I was able to get a fair amount of hot air from the engine bay barreling into the cabin when the top of the console was removed. The faster the speed, the greater the flow from that uncapped console. By adding the rubbermaid trio, and the license plate angle (if that's worth anything), there is now very little air coming up through that same area, and with a bit more airflow from the angled license plate, the smaller (and lighter ) radiator cools the engine just fine.

On deck: Taking a closer look at the lightweight ( ) Kubota D850....

~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 11:14 PM..