View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Went to the DMV today they could not get it registered without a title, BUT the DMV motorhome will be there tomorrow and they can fix me up. As long as I don't go more than 35 MPH I don't need to pay for a title and the registration is $22.50. No taxes or insurance required, I think the tag is permanent.

If it and I want to go over 35MPH then it's a motorcycle. I had it up to 35 today after fixing the speedometer-odometer and I don't need to go any faster than that especially on twenty year old tires. It will take some time to get a mileage figure from the bike, since it will only go a few miles from home, maybe 6 or 7 max.

Took the carb off again today and mechanically cleaned both low a high speed jets. I don't know how much better it could run but it's got to be close to original performance.

Road legal tomorrow when I can get it registered. DMV has a special classification for scooters and a special license plate.

It's amazing how well it performs for a 50 year old design. No wonder old man Honda turned this bike into an automotive, engine and bike (+ other numerous vehicles) superpower.

Every gasket on the carb was an oring, not a single part needed replacement. I did order a battery (Yuasa OE) from the dealership Frank, Don't want to burn out the selenium regulator. I can only imagine what kind of gas the US could have saved with a few million of these running around for the last 50 years.

It does still need an air filter and the housing for the filter is missing, found one on ebay.
Also one of the screws on the carb is wrong, slotted pan head when it should be counter sunk phillips. I might get another ignition switch sometime.

In the meantime I'll just shut off the fuel petcock, put the choke on, and that means whoever takes it will have to know how it works very well to realize they have to turn the choke off and turn the fuel on as well as turn the ignition on and kick start it.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-24-2014)