View Single Post
Old 07-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #20 (permalink)
davelobi
EcoModding Apprentice

CRX - '91 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 63.1 mpg (US)

the ugly one - '97 saturn SL just sl,not sl1 or 2
Team Saturn
90 day: 44.15 mpg (US)

Vibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe
Team Pontiac
90 day: 44.24 mpg (US)

Hoopdie - '05 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 42.58 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
I disagree. I find the engine braking from DFCO costs more than neutral idling. It eats up too much momentum and you burn fuel to regain that. This is on an automatic, too - my family car is an Odyssey. If you're not going to EOC, neutral idling is the next best. Shift to Drive when you need power, neutral at all other times.
How can you disagree with using zero fuel? If you understand dfco you know that the ecu actually stops sending pulses from the injector drivers, shutting them off. Zero fuel is being used at this time while at idle the injectors are still squirting gas. As far as losing momentum, we have to do that often during a commute for red lights, stop signs, and to slow down to make a turn. I'll let off the gas and coast down to an acceptable speed to make a turn and use no gas while slowing down. If my coast is going to be long enough then I will eoc and enjoy the longer coast but you would be surprised how far you can coast while leaving it in gear as well. DFCO is programmed into the engines computer for a good reason, it works well.
"Shift to Drive when you need power, neutral at all other times" .. Do you bump into neutral and back to drive constantly for P&G? I constantly go in and out of dfco while driving effectively increasing my mileage by a respectable amount. In neutral while slowing down to make a turn is wasting gas that could be saved by having the computer shut the fuel injectors off.

Here is an old post from when I was learning the dfco parameters in my car..
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...rta-27051.html
My chassis ear made it very easy to know when fuel injectors were pumping gas or shut off. I know it isn't something everyone has access to but it does it anyway. Might as well use it. If anyone local wants to try out my listening device you are welcome to it.