View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #101 (permalink)
dustyfirewalker
EcoModding Lurker

hey oil pan

i have thought about using coolant but im afraid i wont get the fuel and air entering the motor hot enough to vaporize heavier liquids, im pretty sure coolant would be perfect for alcohols and other lighter flammables, from what ive seen it looks like most of the old kero tractors and such had a section of intake manifold connected to exhaust, similar to a v8 cross over but bigger area and a sharp turn to ensure atomized fuel will hit the hot spot

i just found pics of those egr cooler heat exchangers those are neat, i also just the other day found diesel grid air intake heaters i believe for cummins that look very similar to what i was fabricating before,

the little experience i do have with heat exchangers (calculating fluid mass and q exchange in thermo, and building a fuel line pre heater with coolant), the one thing ive noticed is that the hot and cooler mediums mixing together usually dont ever reach the same temperature. for instance in my case with 700 deg f exhaust gas heating a 100-200 deg f air and fuel charge in a heat exchanger the exiting exhaust will be cooler, but the vapors routed to the engine wont hit 700, maybe more like 500, and with less than adequate surface area to transfer the heat the exchange is less effective, so temp will go down further, i havent taken heat transfer systems yet, so im not exactly sure how to go about finding the right surface area to transfer the heat trough a particular substance.

im hoping someone could point me in the right direction, alot of what ive found is just "maximize surface area for best heat transfer" but i dont have a whole lot of room in my engine bay

when i get some more down time (about to go work) ill post a sketch of how i plan to get fuel and air from the q jet to the exhaust area and back to the intake,

keep modding!