View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 10:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Ordered points and condenser today (ebay). Local dealership told me they should be able to pull the flywheel, which you have to do to get to the points-condenser (but not to adjust the points). They even offered to contact the gent they sold their obsolete tools to if one of their 40 pullers would not work. They have a tech that has worked there for 25 years and the Passport was the last similar scooter built and sold in the US.

Glass bead blasted the rear wheel spokes and hub, as well as the rear brake and sprocket assemblies. Cush rubbers look like new. Got the left side cover off for the flywheel pull and points replacement. One of the screws was a bear and took some hammering on the bit to break it loose. The cheap bit set I had bought for a few bucks had one that was a perfect fit, even held up to some healthy hammering. I had to lean the bike over against my inversion table to get enough of a push on the screwdriver to break it loose.

While I was at the dealership I checked out the closeout tires. Picked up a Dunlop K627 in 130/90/15 for the GZ250 for $59.95. It was made in Japan in early 2010. The original (2004) Metzler that was on the bike when it was made is very close to an inspection failure. I like those guys and they have always helped me fairly so it's nice to help them get rid of old inventory. I'll probably wear the tire out in two years riding.

Someone has put an electric motorcycle on both the electric and gas bike sections of the garage. I don't think I can beat 350+MPG, but it seems like 150+ might be possible.

regards
mech

Last edited by user removed; 07-09-2014 at 10:38 PM..