View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
figit090
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Registering an out-of-state Civic HX in California? Search tips?

Hello all,

I'm in California and I'm trying hard to find a good Civic HX, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on finding one out-of-state, and what a good price would be?

I know that I should check that the engine is D16Y5 and that the vin starts with 1HGEJ7 to make sure it's an original car, but beyond that and ordinary chassis inspection I'm not sure what to look for nor how to successfully get the car into California.

I'm also concerned with smogging a Federal ECU car in Cali but I've seen that it's been done successfully before to a CA car with a Federal ECU installed...
Does anyone know if there's any paper trail/legal barriers as far as registration of a car that's not made for California smog?

I think I can make it smog here just fine, if I have to I'll source a CA ECU to pass the sniff test, but I was mildly afraid the DMV wouldn't even accept that if the car is labeled as a car that cannot pass because it was never made for California.

Any tips are greatly appreciated, I can't find much of anything in California so I'm getting desperate.