View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #55 (permalink)
Rishar
What did I just do?!

Angry Bird - '10 Toyota Prius
90 day: 62.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Rishar, you covered your lower grill with some pink vinyl? Notice any differences? You can get red duct tape which would be a better match.
I actually screwed in sheet metal and sprayed it real quick with color matched paint. Since I didn't sand it down first and it's a light layer that also has lots of drips...it looks like I ran down a lot of small woodland creatures. My uncle now calls the car Bloody Mary. Mostly it's just temporary while I test and then maybe I'll do a spray foam fill.

As for noticing any differences, I definitely have. On flat areas or even small inclines I can hold it at 50mpg and get up to 60mph where before I'd have to give it more gas after reaching 52. I haven't done any A-B-A testing so this is all just what I've noticed...but it does make a difference. Definitely held coasting longer from 55mph.

The other difference is that air intake temp is about 20°F higher than before at all times. Temp today was 72°F. Coolant temp was normal all day after 200+ miles of driving. Inverter temp hovered between 90-100°. (coolant temp didn't even budge doing 70mph for 10 minutes)

Although, once I got in town and off highway driving, the engine was still putting off so much heat that my air intake temp went to 136°.