View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 01:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCotton View Post
I put some Wetter Wet coolant additive with my Zerex 50/50. I guess I was a sucker for slick marketing and from what I can tell has not lower my coolant temps but rather increased them.
Why did you need to lower your coolant temps? Creating a larger opening in the grill block, or using the correct thermostat is the proper way to control coolant/engine temperatures.

Water is an extremely good fluid for both conducting heat, and absorbing large quantities of energy.

Water Wetter's website shows how good water is in their chart. You'll notice the chart compares water to many substances, but not Water Wetter.

If I lived in a climate where extreme freezing was not a danger, I would lower the antifreeze ratio to something much lower, perhaps to 20%. This would greatly increase the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of the coolant.

How bad does it freeze in Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I find when you add the water wetter it makes the coolant go in better and avoid the air traps.
Water Wetter is a detergent, so it breaks the surface tension of water. It reduces the viscosity of water.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!