View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
Your friends car only needed basic maintenance

the repair lists is not unusual ,if anything its a cheap easy fix , I woulkd be pretty damn happy if that's all my new used car needed.

You should blame the seller of the car he sold in need of those repairs not VW

My tdi does nothing but save me money
A failed alternator is not basic maintenance; it is a repair. There is no service schedule for replacing alternators, exhaust flex pipes, and wheel bearings. The alternator was twice the cost and twice the labor charge compared to performing the same repair on an Asian or domestic brand.

Perhaps your experience of owning a VW has adjusted your expectation that these are normal maintenance items instead of irregular failures rarely encountered by brands/models known for good reliability.

While this anecdote alone is worthless, my other friend has owned 2 Jetta NA diesels, and 3 engines (they all burned out for various reasons). Then another friend had a Mk4 Jetta TDI that had something major (was never told what) fail just outside of warranty that cost $6000 to repair.

In all this time, my '96 Subaru Legacy went 240,000 miles with not a single failure of even the smallest component. I raced the thing whenever I was on gravel roads, would speed up for potholes, and bash through the forest. It had every excuse to fail me, and never did.

My TSX only has 100k miles on it, but so far not a single failure of any type. Since owning it, I've changed the oil 4 times and put fuel in it.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 07-12-2014 at 06:47 PM..