View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 12:44 PM   #32 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,177 Times in 807 Posts
I'm going to just build my own, after looking at costs of a new one and then costs of the materials they use it looks like they are loaded with profit. Much more so then the average car which I assume is because the volume is so much lower. Anyway, nobody builds a true areo camper. I saw somebody post the average camper only travels 500 miles per year and I believe it but the question is why? I'm sure the owners plan on more when they buy them but then the reality of 8mpg and $4/gal hits and they just can't afford the 500 mile trip each way to the beach, national park, or whatever. At that point the $500 spent on gas would buy hotels. My thing is also the wear on the tow rig While your drivetrain is getting 8 mpg it is also working it's butt off.
For my design I think I have settled on a design that looks like a boat from the top and a tapered box from the side. That gives me mostly upright but curved side walls and flat but sloping roof. About 15' long not counting hitch by 6.5 feet wide. I will keep the hitch short about 2' and the trailer about 1' off the ground with a 6.5' max interior height.