View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
figit090
EcoModding Lurker

Black Bovine - '86 Toyota Supra N/A base
90 day: 16.86 mpg (US)

Grey Sandy - '03 Toyota Rav4 Sport Package
90 day: 21.3 mpg (US)

Panda - '03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI wagon GLS
90 day: 44.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_sol View Post
when im driving at speed, i just barely release the clutch until i feel it engage, then the engine fires on. It ends up being, what, 100rpm?

Once the engine fires on, you press the clutch right away, then you just rev match back into 5th or 6th gear. Thus preventing premature wear.

Yes, i hypermiled my old Del sol for 5 years (greatly reducing my gas expenses), which eventually allowed me to save up enough money to buy my dream car - sti.
Oh cool thanks for the tips!
I'll be saving for another supra probably, and you've convinced me with the further explanation of ~100rpm starts that it's easy to start at speed. I'm not sure why I was worried about premature wear on the engine when the clutch and starter would start the engine the same exact way...lol. I was concerned about clutch wear too, but it doesn't seem to be an issue if the engine starts up that easy. I've only ever push started my current supra from a slow roll, so I guess in my car I'll install a kill switch on the shifter and go for it! I'm excited, I just need to find the right car now.