View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #36 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
jcp123 -- Only one year of production. '77.

jamesqf -- I think I'm not far off. The quoted part was why you may not need extended wheelbase and long suspension travel to travel comfortably at high speed on unimproved roads. I once saw a video of a Trophy Truck at speed, taken from a pacing helicopter. It hit a 2ft hillock at 100mph and flew a considerable distance. It planted all four wheels at the same time. It was beautiful, but not what I think you're looking for.

#10 beat the pants off that Bronco parked behind it. A good comparison would be a WWII Army Jeep and the Veep, a VW floorpan with a Phillipines repro Jeep body on it. The Jeep will crawl boulder sized rocks, but tops out at 45 on the freeway. The Veep will go everywhere else, but cruise at 70.

Quote:
Del Blanchard, of Myrtle Creek, Oregon, through his many contacts in the Philippines, imported a limited batch of stainless steel bodies for Jeep CJ-3As and CJ-3Bs about a dozen years ago, but at the time didn’t think it’d be worth importing any more...

A couple of years ago, he started planning to import more to satisfy the demand, ... and now has begun importing shipping containers full of the bodies, with a container or two of bodies stamped in galvanized steel on their way shortly.

“We set out to create a body kit more complete than anything else on the market,” Del said. “The only thing we don’t include is the chassis and running gear.”

- See more at: Stainless steel Jeep body production resumes | Hemmings Daily
So? Inrekor flat-pack composite floorpan with stainless steel body and 2 Protean Electric inwheels for 2WD? With Bridgestone Ecopias on 4"x19" Ford wire wheels so it looks like a Bearcat?

YeahPete -- 4WD if their 16hp each. Protean Electric's design is for 72 continuous, 100 max hp. Unless your'e packing a lot of frontal area or weight, would you need 300hp?

And I understand that you get regenerative braking with AC. Sounds like a big deal to me.