Thread: aero questions
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschooleco View Post
Hey y'all
I'm confused on two things and they both have to do with the length/placement of certain mods inside the teardrop template. one is a roof extension, i understand it should be in the template curving with the roof, but i want to see out my rear window and still use my trunk (its a notch back sedan). does it have to be a certain length to be affective? and another question on a flat trunk spoiler, does it work with the roof extension? is its purpose to reattach flow? what is the optimum length on that? thank you!
*The 'Template' would require converting the notchback into a Kamm-back,if at normal car length.To be most effective,it would need to be as long as the rear of the trunk.
*You would lose conventional use of the trunk unless you articulated the roof extension as other members have,allowing the addition to swing up and away,allowing access to the trunk.
*Otherwise,you'd lose the trunklid and covert to a rear hatch.
*Your rear vision would be with a new passenger side side window,and rear vertical backlight.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
*If you do the 'Template' extension,a spoiler would be unnecessary,as the template generates zero rear lift and has full flow attachment.
*Spoilers must be designed according to :
---- Percentage of roof compared to vehicle length
---- Whether the roof has camber or not
---- Design of the C-pillars
---- Whether the quarter panels are boat-tailed or not
---- The length of the trunk
---- The height of the trunk
---- The angle of the backlight
There is a high probability that what the factory has done is already optimized for all the parameters listed above.