View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
People used to crank cars by hand. Look at it backwards. Try driving your car with the starter motor. It won't work because the starter motor won't produce enough power.
You can drive a short distance with the starter motor if you drive an older car or have disabled your clutch interlock switch on a newer car. I once drove with the starter motor in my 68 VW Beetle when it died in the middle of an intersection. When the motor died, I put it into 2nd gear and cranked the starter to drive out of the intersection and off to the side of the road. I've also driven on the starter for short distances in a 76 Rabbit diesel, a 79 Subaru Brat, and my 68 Beetle at various times when they had experienced clutch failures. I had to start their motors with the clutch engaged in 1st or 2nd gear (depending on the slope) and then rev match to change gears without the clutch in order to drive them to the repair shop, or in the case of the Beetle, I drove it for several days like this before getting it to the shop. A 1960's book about driving tips that I once read talked about using the starter motor to move your car if the engine died during a water crossing.

On the Aerocivic, when I finally had the transmission replaced at 510,000 miles when the 5th gear bearings wore out, it still had about 1/4 of the clutch lining still left despite over 200,000 miles worth of bump starts.
darcane (07-16-2014)