View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 11:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Davo53209@yahoo.com
EcoModding Apprentice

How Do I check the timing belt alignment

Okay, I was successful in replacing my entire exhaust system, starting from the manifold to the muffler. Thanks to all who were willing to contribute to my success. Now on to the next task.

Recently, I had set the ignition timing on my 94 Honda Civic and shortly after lining the red timing mark to the the indicator on the timing cover, I'd noticed that the idle speed runs higher than spec (i.e. 900 rpm) while sitting at an intersection

Prior to making any adjustments, the ignition timing was way off; but the car idled at a lower RPM (i.e. around 650-750 RPM) before the adjustment. What I have noticed from the receipts that were given to my by the previous owner, both the timing belt & water pump were replaced less than 4yrs. ago. Could there be a relationship to the problem?

With that in mind, it's been suggested that I check the timing belt alignment; but I can't seem to find any resources or examples of how to do that. In short, what are the steps in checking the timing belt alignment and ideally, where can I find a video?

Thank You.