View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 01:51 AM   #34 (permalink)
DOFZO
EcoModding Lurker

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by figit090 View Post
Yeah I wish so many eco cars weren't fugly. That's another reason I feel like the HX is PERFECT, because tasteful mods can make them look pretty good, and that's not to say it's not good looking as-is. I like the stock enkei rims, too. The TCH and FFH don't look bad, you're right. If I had that budget though I wouldn't give a crap about fuel expense, I'd be in a mkIV supra, or something else comfortable, powerful, clean, and fun.

Oh and yeah, I hate priuses more because of that accident. I already didn't like them but now they make me cringe (or scream if they're in the way). I had to fight over a year, eventually winning a lawsuit, because a careless woman backed into the street and smaked our car, tweaking my neck; and they (the insurance of the car owner, not the driver) didn't want to cover basic treatment. Don't support Farmers, they can burn in hell. Also, don't stand near hybrids or drive by without observing their occupancy, they're silent killers.

Thanks for the tips! and the price info, it's hard to believe these cars are so inexpensive, but they are old and after all just a civic. Still though, I'm happy not to need a $6k budget.

I have a guy responding to my HX want ad, but sadly his has 250k miles on it, it's been lowered, and he didn't seem to know if it had any basic things done, like timing belt, clutch...etc. I was shocked but he said since 2007 and the last 100k or so...it hasn't needed major work.
I will look at it tomorrow but I'm also going to tell him his $3k asking price is way high for that mileage without major parts being replaced
Perhaps I could offer $500-$1000 for it? I have yet to see it, but at least I'll get to see a HX for a few minutes, which is my main incentive at this point.

He said he'd probably take an offer if I made one but I dunno what he exects and then I'd have to go about getting the...

cosmetic issues worked out (crack in bumper...etc)
correct enkei rims in good shape found, and new tires to fit
new clutch
possible engine rebuild (i mean it's 250k miles...holy crap)
wheel bearings
new sensors
new front seat (minor tears so I'd want something fresh eventually)
full tuneup including timing belt, dizzy/rotor, plugs, wires, EGR cleaning
tranny rebuild??

I don't want to do a rebuild myself, the rest I'm game. It's just a bummer when I wanted to just get a $3000-$3500 nice car and be done with it. I will pass I think but I'm still going to look at it. Who knows maybe he'll take $500? lol.
Pay for and run a carfax! It's the best recommendation I can give anyone. I know they seem expensive, but they save you a headache and much more money down the road. Plus you can tell when an owner is lying to you once you have the history of the car.

When I went on the hunt for a VX, I spent almost $200 for carfaxes, I bought 5 at a time, and ran every car I had interest in. I now own a minty VX!! Well worth every dime I paid carfax.

My $.02 anyway. Good luck!

ZO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
If my hypermiling in the Insight cancels out the effects of just one gap toothed git-er-done in his big dumb F250 dually with his inbred kids and pitbull hanging off the side rails in the back, glaring at me as they roll coal around me . . . . . then maybe there will be some gas left when my grand kids start to drive.
The Following User Says Thank You to DOFZO For This Useful Post:
figit090 (07-17-2014)