View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
sail panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschooleco View Post
hmmmm i like the idea of fender skirts, i can definatly make something work. what about sail panels? coming from the side edges of the roof?, or on the edge of the the body near the tail lights?
I found a blueprint for a 1968 Dart GTS Hemi online.I looks like your car.
With rough measure,it looks like the aft-body of the car constitutes about 34.6% of overall length and your existing backlight is at 30-degrees to the horizon.From backlight header-to-rear of trunklid you have about 14-degrees of slope.
From Buchheim et al research of fastback cars from 1981,at this length,your backlight would be at about 18-degrees for the lowest drag.
18-degrees occurs about two gas cap diameters behind the back of the gas cap,or about half the length of the trunklid.
Since you have a notchback,we might guess that you don't need any kind of rear spoiler.Your trunklid is already too long,aerodynamically.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you extended the C-pillars back halfway across the trunk you'd create the 18-degree slope in elevation.
If you filled in the void with a series of stepped, louvered 'spoilers',you'd capture a vortex inside there.
You'd have some privacy.It would take some load off the air conditioning.And the outer flow should skip off the vortex with a clean reattachment without recirculation into the new recessed area.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
For lowest drag,you'd have to chop your rear quarter panels to create an actual fastback.I don't think you want to go there.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to other mods:
*There might be a chance to soften some of the leading edges,especially around the headlight buckets,or fab some plex domes,as CAR and DRIVER did on their 'Crisis Fighter Pinto' back in '74.
*Your A-pillars,drip rails,and recessed glass are a problem but I don't know of an aesthetic solution for that.
*An invisible grille block if you don't have that
*Loose the engine-driven fan and go to electric if you haven't already,or flex-fan,or good thermo-clutch unit.
*Rocker panel extensions,a couple inches
*Extend quarter panel bottoms down even with new rocker extensions
*The rear skirts would be good
*Belly pan with diffuser,according to Carr would cut Cd 0.07.