View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #20 (permalink)
Superfuelgero
Too busy for gas stations

Turtle - '92 Honda Civic Vx
Team Honda
90 day: 67.09 mpg (US)

Rolla - '10 Toyota Corolla Le

Beast - '91 Chevy V2500

Bus - '01 VW Eurovan MV

Speed - '93 Harley bored and storked Harley w/ turbo/ nitrous
90 day: 53.09 mpg (US)

Cal - '68 Ford Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Actually if you think about it, all modern gasoline fuel systems are vacuum driven gas vapor systems.
The gasoline is exposed to vacuum anywhere between the throttle and the top of the piston, until the valve closes and the air fuel goes into compression. When driving down the road you can expect to run between 15 and 22 inchs of Hg. That's a vacuum of -7 to -10 psi.
Heat in the fuel that gets picked up on its way to the gasoline induction system combined with exposure to the vacuum should flash all the gasoline to vapor in the warm to hot vacuum environment.
If that was true, then newer injectors wouldn't be going towards the trend of smaller and higher number of holes (example ev1 vs ev12 injectors). This is true of port and direct injectors for diesel and gas engines. This increases the power per given fuel injected.

The OP's statement for the operation is faulty though, in that the closed loop operation is not responsible, since he implies that the total quantity remains constant. If constant, there is now savings. The explanation I gave would, but I have yet to see it documented correctly. Adding a system like this would also throw the fuel rich/low zones (important for high swirl chambers) off kelter, since the pulsewidth and air mix would be changed.

In short, no proof, and gets too complicated for sweeping generalizations. But, I would be open to hearing a constructive discussion on the matter.