View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #49 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
canard...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
This looks similar to the Bertone BAT cars, except the two components aren't joined at the top. I still don't get how the canard sets up the airfoil behind it.

At Bonneville they didn't seem to allow non-longitudinal fences and diverters, although I did see one exception.
If I had to guess (and I am),the split fin develops the desired center of pressure/center of gravity bias in a steady crosswind,but in a strong gust,it allows the air pressure to bleed through the gap so as not to generate a roll moment,which would be equally freaky.
Gust stability was a big issue for Kamm and Fachsenfeld.They parked Junkers Ju52s along a stretch of roadway,with their propeller slipstreams blasting across the pathway.If a passing vehicle didn't go out of control,it passed the 'smell test' for directional stability.Same for racing cars which they also designed.
Hitler's Autobahn and Mussolini's Autostrada allowed really high speed driving for the first time and they didn't want motorists getting themselves killed.I think Ferdinand Porsche drove at 90 mph in his 60K10,between Stuttgart and Berlin.

Last edited by aerohead; 07-21-2014 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
freebeard (07-22-2014)