View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 11:41 AM   #11 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsterpower View Post
I think the confusion here is thinking polarity changes while regen.
The polarity (ie. direction of flow) does not reverse during regen. It continues to flow around the circuit in the same direction. Only the motor is now pushing - to the battery instead of pulling from the battery + .

Hope this clears things up.
I was indeed thinking that the direction of current flow reversed during regen. The motor and controller basically acting like a charger.

I had a quick look at this site Understanding Regeneration | Roboteq and it says that current flow reverses during regeneration.

Even though the amount of current during regen isn't as high as the currents when the motor/controller are acting as a load. I was still worried that the potential across the contactor terminals would be the reverse of what was marked on it.

But from reading the other comments is sounds like with the contacts closed the reversed current flow won't cause any issue.
It is only if the contacts try to open whilst high regen currents are flowing that the reversed flow may cause issue.
In normal operations, when high currents are flowing the main contactor should never need to open so being in regen mode or not makes no difference.

The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (07-23-2014)