View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
dirtydave
Not bad for a machine

Maechunbu - Retired - '00 Kia Sephia 1.8I4 16VDOHC
Last 3: 45.28 mpg (US)

Slasher - '96 Chevy Corsica 2.2L 3speedauto
Duct Tape Aero Crew
Team Chevy
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertISaar View Post
this would be my reason not to. there might be a small thermal siphon effect going on if the water pump isn't spinning to move coolant, but otherwise it is entirely stagnant. what is in the radiator would be cooled, but nothing else. at that point, the air already moving through the radiator from coasting is probably more than sufficient to cover that task.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
...which brings us right back to running the fan when the engine is running, regardless of whether or not someone does an alternator delete. I maintain that the fan should come on when the coolant temperature is too hot, and turn off when it is in the ideal range. That means leaving the fan to control itself.
I don't let the fan control itself because It doesn't work! Not sure what the real issue is but I'm cheap / lazy and just used a quick fix. simple switch on the dash.

I guess most people agree to let it run when the engine is running. And when its getting hot.

I was considering an alternator delete, but I'm not going to unless I can get another bigger / better battery and a better solar panel for free / dirt cheap.