View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #39 (permalink)
t vago
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Aerocap is rough-finished. Any further work on it will be to fine-tune the cap and/or harden the shell itself.

I made a mistake with the last rib, didn't catch it in time, and it is sitting about 1/2 inch higher than it is supposed to, as a result. However, I don't think this should substantially affect the reduction in drag due to the cap itself.

The cap itself looks almost identical to the Excel graph representation, which is pleasing to see.

I did a quick test with in-town and highway driving. I have to hook up an MPGuino to get reliably accurate numbers. The built-in trip computer indicates instantaneous fuel economy figures of about 28 MPG at 40 MPH, and 22 MPG while travelling at 75 MPH. For comparison, the truck got around 22 MPG instantaneous while in town, and about 19-20 MPG on the highway.

Once I have the MPGuino hooked up, I will conduct a more accurate A-B-A test of the cap.

I did have a ScanGauge II hooked up to the truck, but it is now with my parents' minivan. My Magnum uses an MPGuino, while our minivan uses the UltraGauge. The UltraGauge does not work with the truck.

I also experimented with using aluminum foil and 3M 78 spray adhesive. It appears to work well enough to seal the foil against the foam skin, and may be easier to work with than the epoxy I bought for the version 2 aerocap. This should allow me to more easily apply one or two sheets of fiberglass to the skin.

Driver's side mirror view

Last rib being glued in

Section 4 skin initial gluing

Section 4 skin final gluing left side

Section 4 skin final gluing right side

Profile view of complete aerocap

Slight rearward view

Left rearward view

Right rearward view

Left forward view, showing curve
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (07-25-2014), California98Civic (07-25-2014), ChazInMT (07-26-2014), ecoTex (07-26-2014), NeilBlanchard (07-26-2014)