View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,648 Posts
questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker3 View Post
So I finally did the aero template and these were the results

So I have a few questions about that and some that are unrelated. Anyway here they are, first did I use the template correctly?

Also is the spoiler going to affect anything? I was wondering because it seems like the back end is bad enough that it shouldn't make a difference. I also don't want to take it off because I think it would make a really good mount for a kammback idea I have.

Now the unrelated questions.

Is it better aerodynamically to have a grille block in front of a plastic mesh kind of grille or does it not make a difference either way?

For wheel covers would having them on the inside of the wheels work as well as on the outside like you usually see?

And finally (for now) is smoothing out the back end of a car (like in the area with the spare tire well on mine beneficial without a full belly pan?
*Ideally,you'd have a long-telephoto image of the car to get all the profile closer to that of a technical drawing,but for what you have the alignment looks real good.
*The spoiler may catch some of the downwash off the roof and kill a bit of rear lift,so it's worth keeping if only for that.
*If the grille block is 'outside' the grille,it can guide the airflow around and over with less local energy loss.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
With respect to the 'open' wheels:
Pontiac measured -0.018 loss compared to a ventilated cover
...................... -0.024 loss compared to a flat disc cover
...................... -0.027 loss compared to a convex (MOON) type cover
Running a cover on the inside would produce similar results,as the airflow would have zero flow support surface down the sides of the Sunfire.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 'diffuser' area works best when there is a smooth belly up to it.
*Carr showed a Cd 0.015 drag reduction from cleaning up this area in the presence of a belly pan
*When this area was carefully sloped up as a diffuser it netted a Cd 0.04 improvement,but only with a full pan up ahead of it.
*If you can locate a HONDA VX,look under it's tail to see some special smoothing panels.These lowered drag measurably.You can compare its belly to the Pontiac.

Last edited by aerohead; 07-26-2014 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: spelling