View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #447 (permalink)
UnicycleDan
EcoModder In Training

BigBlue (UnicycleDan) - '03 GMC Envoy XL
90 day: 20.55 mpg (US)
To quote MetroMPG, "On that point: why is your car most efficient at 55 mph - is that where it shifts into top gear? (Seems high to me.)

If you look at our big collection of speed vs. fuel economy charts, there aren't any that get better mileage as speed increases beyond that final shift.[/QUOTE]"

Oh, boy...now there seem to be mixed messages. Honestly, I pulled the 55mph number out of what I think I've heard before concerning FE, so almost out of nowhere. In an article on your metrompg.com entitled "Speed kills: testing MPH vs. MPG in top gear", you said "Here's one from the EPA for an unnamed vehicle (in unknown conditions) which shows a mileage peak around 50 mph - likely where the highest gear is engaged." Then you show a graph below. My interpretation of that sentence anyway is that lowest speed in highest gear yields optimal FE. And the VW Golf graph below it indicate the same concept. I have a non-hybrid, so wouldn't that be true for me, too...lowest speed in highest gear gives best FE? Or am I misinterpreting something here? Your last sentence contradicts this, though. I tried to follow the link on the words "collection of speed vs. fuel economy charts" and I didn't find a "big" collection, but rather 2 charts, both of tiny cars, far different from my large automatic SUV. I guess some clarification would be nice. Thanks.
-Genesis 1:32