View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
BobS
diesel doer

Smile Frugal AND cheap

Hi, folks. Bob here. Retired sans pension (Dad and Granddad died at 65 from heart attacks so why should I worry about a pension? Had the requisite heart attack at 65 but the damn doctors fixed me by reaming out my tubes and boy, was I PO'd when I woke up.) Now, I live in Florida and my daughter, her hubby and 2 kids lives in Cabo San Lucas, about 4,000 miles away. And recently I have gotten a touch of wanderlust. But I have to do it all on only Social Security so all aspects of my travels has to be free or low cost. I can do it and I figure other retirees might be interested in how (by, among other techniques, through ecomodding).
I recently sold my home and packed up my belongings into copy center boxes. I ended up with 16 boxes 18" x 12" x 9" so I need a trailer. Now Walmart and big-box Kmarts let RV's overnight for free so I also need an RV. Fortunately, Harbor Freight has a trailer with a 4' x 8' bed that only runs around $250 with a 25% off coupon and I have an instant-up Coleman tent measuring 7' x 8' so I only need to build a box 10" deep for my stuff and, using a 4 x 8 plywood top, I can add 2 each 1 1/2' side extensions on piano hinges to allow my 7 x 8 tent to sit on top. Viola! an RV is born.
The reason I am a lurker here is that I need a fuel efficient vehicle to pull the trailer and keep the fuel costs down. And I prefer to run of biofuel which means a diesel in my future. But how big an engine do I need to cross the Rockies? The Centurion engine at 0.85L probably won't cut it but Jack McCornack is running a Kubota 1.1L that might. And I am told that VW 1.4 L engines can be hotrodded while still being efficient (I found Lupos on sale in Mexico City). Just for sheer availability, I am seriously considering a Geo Tracker with an Acme adapter allowing use of a VW 1.6L or 1.9L VW engine in the Tracker. The only problem there is that I crawled under a Tracker and found that the engine was mounted high above the frame. There is a full 5 inches between the frame crossmember under the engine and the bottom of the engine so I am seriouxly worried about it's propensity to overturn due to the increased weight of the diesel engine riding that high. Sure could use some guidance on this issue from you more knowledgeable ecomodders. Or maybe some suggestion for a better vehicle/engine combo for my purpose.
Thanks in advance.
Bob S