Thread: SUV Kammback
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicycleDan View Post
Thanks backpacker3. Do you know, when coasting to a red light or stop sign, would it be more fuel efficient for me to flip to neutral? Or would that not help much in an automatic while I'm still moving? I'm comparing this in my mind to a lesser version of EOC, which I shouldn't do with my automatic.

...And thanks aerohead. I'm back to the template, but I guess that's good, because the template is straightforward. I still find it very interesting, however, that even in the picture of the Golf/Rabbit, the Cd increases, then decreases again beyond a point, where a certain range of kammback angles would actually worsen aero drag compared to my chopped SUV back.
Absolutely, back when I eco-drove my 95 Camry, one of the biggest jumps in mpg was when I started popping it into neutral way back and coasting up to a stop light. Imagine this, I'm driving up to a light I see go red, so I let off the gas say, 300ft from the light, due to engine braking, I slow from 55 to 34-45, and then have to re accelerate back up to speed. Now let's flip it, I pop it in to neutral at the same distance, and instead of slowing down to 35-45, you slow to 45-50. This is a major difference and will boost your mpg more then you would think. I went from 27 average in the city to 31 because of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
UnicycleDan (07-29-2014)