Thread: SUV Kammback
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
UnicycleDan
EcoModder In Training

BigBlue (UnicycleDan) - '03 GMC Envoy XL
90 day: 20.55 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Absolutely, back when I eco-drove my 95 Camry, one of the biggest jumps in mpg was when I started popping it into neutral way back and coasting up to a stop light. Imagine this, I'm driving up to a light I see go red, so I let off the gas say, 300ft from the light, due to engine braking, I slow from 55 to 34-45, and then have to re accelerate back up to speed. Now let's flip it, I pop it in to neutral at the same distance, and instead of slowing down to 35-45, you slow to 45-50. This is a major difference and will boost your mpg more then you would think. I went from 27 average in the city to 31 because of it.
Do you have to worry about your engine, though, when you kick it back out of neutral into drive and your vehicle's speed is very different from the neutral engine speed? The engine will be forced to ramp up to the appropriate RPMs for that speed fairly quickly. I know this is what your transmission/torque converter is for, but will this cause increased wear on these parts in the long run?
-Genesis 1:32