View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #12 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
It was still clear. It only had 11,000 miles on it. I think the manual says to change it every 100,000-120,000 miles, but can't remember exactly.

I know what the parts cost and I can rebuild it myself. The 7th Gen Civic's are known to have their inputs bearings fail. The input bearing race is plastic. Mine is on it's way out. When I changed the transmission fluid out at around 95,000 miles, there were some plastic pieces that came out. When I drained that fluid at 106,000 miles, more plastic came out. I put the old fluid back in and topped it off with some fresh fluid. I can hear the "can of marbles" sound in first gear, which means the input bearing is already at some level of failure. The trans still works so I am in no rush to fix it. By the way, a bearing kit is $150 and a synchro set is $200. If the input bearing goes, I may just go for an HX transmission and refresh it before it goes in the car.

If Honda thinks that fluid can stay in the transmission for over 100,000 miles, it should not be a problem to reuse newer fluid, as long as it was kept clean.
Having had a Nissan transmission disintegrate on me on a 200 yard test drive and the customer imply that after 130k miles, it was my fault that the transmission failed, I can speak from experience.

If you continue to drive with obvious impending bearing failure, you will end up with a transmission that can not be rebuilt without replacing a lot more than just bearings. As the bearing fails the shaft becomes misaligned and all sorts of consequential damage is happening which will either make the rebuild a failure or you will end up with noisy gear interface from altered wear patterns, or it couldfail completely.

Just advice from experience, worth exactly what you paid for it.

regards
Mech
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Cobb (07-30-2014)