View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Varn
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
I was scouring craigs list and saw this car on it. I went to dial the number and said to myself I know this number. It was an old friend who is a trained aircraft mechanic. He bought the car from another old friend. The car had been set up with new suspension, adjustable ride height. It had 250,000 on it when we bought it. It isn't pimped and is in need of some paint. I think this summer it is going to get the OD green or woodland camo treatment.

Nearly everyplace we go, it is the oldest car there unless at home next to our 85 MB. I wouldn't be afraid to drive it anywhere. Both cars are our regular transportation except for our van which we don't use unless we need to haul something.

At times I wish it were a TDI instead of the old turbo IDI but I don't have any complaints. Buying cars is truly a bogus experience. If you have one that is working, don't get another one that has someone elses problems. Might as well spend your money on blow and hookers.

I can't imagine a vw motor swap into a small truck would be very economical. The gearing would be lower the aero drag would be 2x. The vw is very low and narrow compared to almost any new small car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
$2000 and only needed tires sounds like a great deal, especially on a 1986.

I thought about buying an older VW diesel and there have been a few on Craigslist around here. But, my wife would kill me if I sold my perfectly running Civic for pretty much any car...

Wouldn't it be great if there were more wagons on the road?

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
The Following User Says Thank You to Varn For This Useful Post:
sarguy01 (07-30-2014)