View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
backpacker3
Master EcoModder

Homer - '02 Pontiac Sunfire SE
Team Pontiac
90 day: 30.05 mpg (US)
Emergency items. Ideas on making them lighter.

So I've been thinking about this for a while because even though I know I should just take out my spare tire and all that stuff, I am a bit of a worst case scenario person because the one time I've had a flat tire there was no way of repairing it because the tire and wheel were both damaged. I was quite happy I had the spare with me. It's a long story but let's just say things would have been pretty bad if I didn't have the spare tire.

So here are my ideas for this first since the spare is pretty heavy, at least 20lbs probably a bit more, I am thinking about getting a lightweight 14" alloy wheel with the lightest/best RR tire I can find and using that as a spare. I figure that if I can get a 14" wheel that weighs ~10lbs I'll probably have a small weight savings if I get a low profile tire that won't weigh too much.

I'll also look around for a lighter jack and tire iron as well and for some lighter jumper cables too.

The other advantage to the alloy wheel is that it should make it easier to store things in the spare tire well.

I also keep a small emergency kit in my car that I usually change out for different seasons. The max weight of it is about 12 lbs so it's not a big deal plus I use some of the stuff in it for impromptu hiking or fishing stops anyway. I still need to find a nice collapsible fishing pole....

Anyway what do you think of the lighter spare idea worthwhile or not really?