View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,226 Times in 4,653 Posts
What more to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
Once again, I would like to thank everyone whose come together to help me achieve my personal best fuel economy rating of 45mpg on my 94 Civic VX. I'm still aiming for the ever coveted 50mpg as mentioned my most. However; it's a stark difference from 37mpg that I originally had involving a cracked Civic EX exhaust manifold, as provided from the original owner.

But like I was saying, from the suggestions and advice from a lot of experience owners, I have performed the following maintenance listed below and would like to know what else I should do to achieve the 50mpg mark:

-Complete tune-up consisting of OEM spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel & air filter (i.e. all from Majestic Honda) I even indexed the spark plugs.

-Thorough cleaning of the IACV and EGR valve, along with the channels.
-Thorough cleaning of the throttle body.
-Readjusted the base idle to 650 RPM's
-Readjusted the ignition timing toTDC
-Installed a complete OEM exhaust system with a used VX exhaust manifold, new catalytic converter from Majestic Honda, down pipe, center pipe & muffler (No practical aftermarket alternatives available for the CAT).
-New OEM L1H1 5-wire 02 sensor from EBay.

Thank you.
Have you seen basjoos' AeroCivic?
It's essentially a streamlined version of your VX,which can remain in lean-burn well up the velocity curve.With Cd 0.17 the engine doesn't have a lot of work to do.