Thread: Sun Tax
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Unless I missed it, I didn't see anywhere that the net metering customers have a greater cost than other users, just that they don't pay it. I believe conventional customers would pay the $4.65/mo by it being bundled up in their per kWh rate. If the power company put a $4.65/mo infrastructure fee on EVERYONE's bill, and lowered the cost per kWh to equal out, I bet the complaints would go away.
I like your answer better than mine.

My response was from the perspective of the way I am billed for electricity, which includes a $12 "basic charge" that covers the fixed expenses of the infrastructure and maintaining an account.

If a utility recovers fixed costs by incorporating them into the consumption charge, then it's not just the solar people that are shirking their fair portion of paying for infrastructure; it's anyone with less than average power consumption.

The proper way to bill a customer is a fixed monthly charge that covers all fixed costs. The usage charge should only include the variable costs of providing power.

As you stated, the utility could easily dispense of the complaints if your assumption is correct about fixed charges being paid for by the variable amount of energy consumed.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!