View Single Post
Old 01-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
Smoky
EcoModding Lurker

I think everyone may be misinterpreting my comments. I am not trying to start any arguments I just want to assist in finding more ways to make everyones vehicle more efficient.

There are 2 different threads on this exact same subject and I have posted on both.

I agree that aero is important. I do address frontal area in my other posts. In the auto industry we are under enormous pressure to reduce frontal area, reduce drag and weight.

I think nearly everyone on this forum is on the right track with regard to aero. Because of this I have chosen to center my comments on the weight issue. I don't claim to be an expert.

For the driving most people do, 60% city 40% highway, weight plays a major role in reducing efficiency. In city driving speeds rarely get over 40mph. Most driving involves stop and go. The heavier the car the more energy it takes to get moving. Once the car is moving the role weight plays is reduced and the importance of aero increases.

If weight is not a factor then F1 cars would not be using expensive and exotic materials. They will spend millions to save 1 gram of wieght. You can go to any entry level race series and see how they make their cars more efficient. They take out the weight. Aero is important but they are doing pretty much what you all advocate here (and I agree with).

Reducing weight is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to increase efficiency.

Again, I am not trying to argue or disagree in any way and in fact I completely agree with your comments. I think everyone has something to bring to the table and everyones opinion is worth consideration.