View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 02:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
mistareno
EcoModding Lurker

If I use the VW floorpan, I could get away with a shape like below and still cover all the hard points with 13inch wheels.

It would use 4 large semi flexible solar panels. The front 2 panels would tilt forwards to allow fairly easy entry and exit and to allow access to the front storage area. The battery pack would be behind the front seats and the motor would sit in the cavity where the VW gearbox would normally reside driving a diff from an E30 BMW or similar in direct drive.

The dimensions would allow sufficient overhang at the sides to allow the front wheels to turn full lock and not foul on the sides. I would run a 'straight ahead' fairings on what was visible of all 4 wheels.

It would be quite large in plan at 1980mm wide and 4900mm long but the frontal area should be pretty small and the 2D nature of the design should make it relatively easy to manufacture. I can further reduce the weight of the donor floor pan by replacing the steel floor with aluminium panels.

These are the solar panels I wish to use.

They are 24V and 300W each.

They weigh 9 Kg each and are 2020 x 990 x 2.5mm.

I could fit additional panels on the sides but their value would be minimal unless the sides could flip out when parked.

Last edited by mistareno; 08-02-2014 at 05:14 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mistareno For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-02-2014), ecoTex (08-03-2014)