View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #6764 (permalink)
jedsmd
PLUGnGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
I have a theory... if the throttle ramp rate is sufficiently slow (on its max setting) that the controller is still delivering current for an instant after the throttle contactor opens, the big ring capacitor voltage will go to zero. It will start filling up again due to the precharge resistor, but if the throttle closes before the cap is full again, the capacitor would be hit with like 10,000 amps for an instant. If this happens a lot (like in stop and go traffic), maybe the cap could get damaged. Even if that's not the reason for the strange behavior, your code needs another modification, due to the contactor on the throttle. I know what I could add to yours.
So you need to make sure the PWM is completely off before the throttle switch opens?

I substituted a 5k pot I had laying about for the throttle pot. Everything was smooth again. Switched them back and forth a couple times to make sure.

Decided to clean the throttle pot with tuner cleaner but when I got into the potbox I found that the pot was a sealed unit so cleaning didn't happen.

The throttle pot is new Curtis, I bought it for this controller. I wonder if it is borderline noisy when it moves and if that is something that could be filtered in software?
The Following User Says Thank You to jedsmd For This Useful Post:
MPaulHolmes (08-02-2014)