View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Stacygifford
Eco Storm Chaser

Nemo - '87 Ford Mustang GT
90 day: 27.26 mpg (US)

K-sight - '02 Honda Insight
90 day: 39.24 mpg (US)
I would highly highly advise against running 20 to 1 air fuel ratio s on that engine. The only reason the Hondas are capable of running so lean is because they are designed to do so. Running under any form of acceleration or any load at all for that matter on an engine that is not designed to do so will cause catastrophic failures. I'm talking burning holes all the way through the top of the pistons.that is not to say that it can't run slightly lean, but that is an entirely different story.

if it were on a system to where it would switch between lean and a normal air/fuel ratio based upon engine load ( map sensor readings) that would be completely doable and in fact, it would probably be relatively easy to wire up if you had a wideband o2 sensor and a standard o2 sensor you can switch between.I don't want to sound like a negative nancy or a jerk I'm just speaking from experience lol.

As for your adjustable cam gears you could very well just advanced the intake a few degrees and really optimize low rpm cruising by giving your engine valve overlap. and by doing that with an adjustable cam gear you could even potentially get rid of the need to retune your ECU.

of course, retuning the ECU would be optimal. However, it may not be completely necessary with minor timing adjustments.wild teen cream with a 1.8 liter dual overhead cam Honda I found that getting rid of some cam overlap in the low rpms help tremendously with low rpm torque and driveability. it did lose some high rpm power though.

Last edited by Stacygifford; 08-02-2014 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: stupid voice to text on my phone... Lol