View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #116 (permalink)
Frank Lee
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The treadwear/psi discussion has been had many times on this site (maybe in this thread already). Higher pressure is not going to unevenly wear tires at the center. Steel belted tires cannot flex like that along the tread and so they do not balloon under higher pressures along the center of the tread, as people think. Numerous folks on this website have tens of thousands of miles of experience at ten and 15+ psi over sidewall to demonstrate that fact, myself included. But lower pressure will cause more flexing along the sidewall when you're in motion. That flexing will building up heat in the tire and increase the likelihood of the occasional blowout.
Higher pressure isn't going to unevenly wear the center? Oh yes it can. This must be a YMMV thing. I've had the centers wear first due to higher pressure and of course many on here haven't. Steel belted tires CAN flex like that. I've done contact patch experiments and saw how inflation pressure lifted the edges. We can all be right- for our circumstances. I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement of it. Who's to know what the criteria is for when the centers are going to wear out prematurely or not?