View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
mistareno
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

I'm looking at these with a 4" brass caliper held up to my screen. YMMV The Beetle has a wheelbase measured at 2 1/4" and a cowl height of 3/4" — 9/3. Your drawing measures 4 1/4" and 1" — 17/4. If that's a small-diameter wheel, then it's an even tinier mannequin (blue dot to top of head = wheel diameter suggests 5' figure). I know it's a lower seating position, but still...

If you move the 0° camber point forward, there would be more curvature in the front facia and less needed in the solar panels. Are the windscreens transparent over the solar panels? You could have a legal-height light in the front of each one and the melt-the-roadsign-reflectors lights low on the front or they could pop up out of the headrest fairing.

I'm curious about transmission you mentioned. My thought was to get a small enough motor that you could take the gearset and nosecone off the transaxle and stuff it inside the case.
Thanks for the feedback.

I think cooling of the motor would be a problem if it was enclosed, but it might save weight. I really need a small lightweight alloy diff...maybe a Subaru rear diff or similar.

The pan I'm thinking of using is a Type 3 with trailing arm rear end.

I'm not sure if the wheelbase is different but I got it as close as I could using the rulers on paintshop...

Yeah, the windscreens I'm thinking of are clear plastic off a motorbike.

Yeah, the shape may change a bit depending on seating position and legalities.

I'm just trying to get a plan together so I can talk to the engineer before I start so I don't end up backed into a an expensive corner down the track.
The Following User Says Thank You to mistareno For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-05-2014)