View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #38 (permalink)
JohnAh
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault_megane_dci View Post
Whow, I like this a lot.

4,5 liters is mighty impressive !
Is it a personal best or your new average ?

On most of the pic, including your sketchs with the template, I am under the impression the car is tail low when it is required to be nose diving for best aero.

I like your rear window kamm idea.
My 4.5 (or actually 4.4 but as I don't like to be disappointed I adjusted the figure slightly) is a personal best from last fill-up. It's a slight improvement from the last couple of periods and even though it has been a long sloping trend for some time now I don't expect to reach even lower without some aeromods or other more extreme changes.

I's soon time for nex fill-up and I have a feeling that the result will be in the same region, even if I had some smaller errors last time.

It's definitely time to start building that fuel computer I've been dreaming of for a few years now.

Concerning the aeromods I'm still aiming for some sort of kammback extension in first hand, since it will probably be the most rewarding one mod, but also because it's the only aeromod I can explain to my family as something that will make travel more comfortable (less sunlight from rear window and more space for dogs and luggage).

My ideas have changed a bit and I'm not aiming for a two-step solution as mentioned above. Instead I', thinking about an extension "box" that will fit into both the rear window rubber seal and to the trunk hatch at the same time. I will probably weld some kind of framework from steel as I have a spare trunk hatch to start working from. Fiberglass and polyester wold be much nicer but I don't have the same skills there. Steel is also easier to modify bit by bit until I get the shape I like.

The best would be to weld a new body shape directly to the car but this will have to involve a "registration approval", M.O.T or whatever it's called in non-swedish. Such a modification will also be more permanent. When I build the extension from welded steelpipes I can also work in my garage with another Saab 96 as a template while still driving the family car. When the extension box is ready I just move it to the other car and if my family goes crazy and I fail to explain why we must have such a crazy looking car, I can easily convert the car back to something quite normal. If they know the modification is easy to undo they may also be more tolerant to it and give it a chance.

Since I plan to use the original rubber seal around the rear window and the trunk, my extension box is actually mounted against TWO holes in the car's body. This may look a bit odd but will give a trustworthy seal against rain and snow. The outside will not be as smooth as if I designed the extension to exactly follow the car's body, but I can easily fill the gaps with duct tape, sheet plastic or whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAh For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-06-2014)