View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #20 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

Grom's history...

Been awhile since I visited here and I figured I ought to bring you up to speed on my Grom.

Once the horrible winter weather went away I finally had time to do some back-to-back testing between my Grom and my '80 Passport with a Chinese 125 Lifan. It was a real surprise to find that the performance difference between the two (other than gas mileage) was really pretty close.

The Grom, despite it's small wheels, actually rode pretty nice for my 155 lb. weight. I'd added some preload adjusters to the front in an effort to stiffen them up a bit as they seemed to be set up for a hundred pound Asian rider. I found the shock, a throwaway, to perform adequately for my use.

The motor's electric feel was impressive. Very, very smooth for a thumper and it's F. I. performed flawlessly. Hit the button and ride!!

It's one-gallon tank was an irritation despite getting an average of around a hundred miles per gallon. If all that bodywork was a gas tank it would have been a lot better.

I ended up selling it because I just couldn't grasp how the F. I. system works or what I would have done if I'd had trouble with it. I'm pretty much a Luddite in this respect and despite carrying the shop manual around with me to study it all turned my brain to mush. The small tank and fragile plastics kind of soured me as well and given that the demand outstripped supply I felt it better to send it along to someone else who might appreciate it.