View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #128 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
The Kuhmos on the Fiesta just hit 30 k and have 3/8ths inch tread all across all the tires. When I can measure a difference in tread depth front to rear I rotate them but keep them on the same side. Based on the accumuulated wear, it looks like I can easily go another 30, maybe 45 if the wear is less when you have a cooler running higher mileage tire.

The car will be 4 years old in November, produced in November 2010. Those tires might last me until I'm 68 years old in 2018, the original tires on the car when new.

I never said anyone responding to this question is wrong, or dumb to run a pressure that wears the centers first. I can only speak from my experience and that is when you look at total cost of ownership, from a strictly accounting point of view and for me only. Tire wear is reduced 20-25% from running my tires at factory recommended pressure. Fuel mileage is up on top of the lower tire wear. Even if I was wearing out the center of the tire, assuming I was, the overall savings more than justifies the higher pressure.

Do what you think is best and enjoy the benefits of your actions.

I guess I'm either more cheap or lazy. With OE tires on basically new rims, after plugging one on the left side, I probably don't check the pressure more than monthly and it doesn't change much at all. When I rotate the tires, I clean the wheels and wax them. Have never needed to rebalance them.

Edit;
You seldon see me touching a brake pedal coming to an off ramp. The wife sometimes grabs on to something.

regards
Mech