View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
BamZipPow,
Since I am reusing the front part of the original shell, I believe it will hold the shell about an inch or so away from the back of the truck, so that should allow sufficient room for flexing side to side. I saw what you did in one thread with the flexible baseboard as gap filler and would like to do something similar.

Aerohead,
No holes in the bed rail tops unfortunately, but it has a factory track on the inside of the bed that I can mount a bracket to. That bracket could hold a quick release. I would like to not inhibit visibility too much in the back, so I don’t think a blister would work for me. Since the tonneau needs to touch the template in the back it needs to go rearward, up, or both.

Freebeard,
Thanks for the encouragement on the cap design. I hadn’t thought of a sliding track, that is a good idea, but I don’t want to go to a full tonneau for bed utility reasons.

Oldtamiyaphile,
Yeah, I have done pipe insulation as a gap filler on one of my other trucks, need to cut pieces for this one.

What I am thinking now is I could do two tonneau pieces flush and have one just in front of the tailgate covering the last part of the bed and one sticking out just over a foot behind the tailgate to touch the template, but then I have the overhang to contend with. Alternatively I could do just the piece in front of the tailgate if I raised it up about 5” and leaving it open below I could still see above and below it, so visibility wouldn’t be that bad. Either way they would be hinged or quick released so that I could transition to a fully open bed in the back as necessary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aardvarcus For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-07-2014), BamZipPow (08-07-2014)